2/16/10

Sook San Wan Valentine! :: Happy Valentine's Day from Thailand

Haley Boone shares her heartwarming reflections on Valentine's Day from her placement in Nakhon Phanom province...

"Happy Valentine's Day! In honor of the holiday, I thought I’d make a list of the things that I love most about my life here in Thailand. I’m not sure my heart could possibly be happier… I think I love my life here more and more everyday. Here are just a few reasons that I love this place:

  • My students! I’m sure I have the sweetest and most adorable students in the entire world. On Friday, I was greeted in each class by students with roses, stickers, and chocolates. The teachers just laughed and shook their heads, saying “Student love Teacher Baibua very much.” Also, in one of my third grade classes I looked up after the students had been working for a few minutes to find two of my really sweet girls knitting scarves. I was very confused as to why they were making scarves (this is a tropical country, afterall, AND they were supposed to be working) and my partner teacher, Khru ToiTing, just smiled and told me they were making the scarves for me because they knew that it was very cold in America. I think my heart melted.
  • My WorldTeach fam! I am so lucky to spend the year with such an amazing group of people! They understand like no one else when I have a frustrating day at school or when I want a cheeseburger so much I think I might cry. They are my comfort here and help me stay sane. They also love to have fun, and everytime we get together the end result is always hilarious stories, great pictures, and memories of this year that I’m sure I will never forget.
  • Nakhon Phanom! I love this little town in NE Thailand so much. I love the river. I love the night market. I love how incredibly friendly everyone is. I love that I can’t go anywhere without running into at least 5 people that I know.
  • My host family… I never imagined my living situation would be so comfortable and great when I first got to Thailand. I live with the greatest family that has done everything they possibly can to make my year wonderful.
  • My school, Annuban. I couldn’t have asked for a better placement… I work at such a friendly school. The way the school is run is a little strange (and frustrating) to me at times, but the other teachers are just wonderful. Despite being so large, it feels like the school community is a big family.
  • Thai fruits! They seriously have the best fruits here. And they are SO cheap. I’ve eaten so many fruits that I’d never heard of before, and then there are the delicious pineapples and watermelons everywhere. The other day I accidently ate a whole pineapple because they are just that good. And it was only 20 Baht (about 60 cents)!
These are just a few things that have me feeling all warm and fuzzy on this Valentine’s Day. I hope that yours back home is wonderful… enjoy the snow that I am missing!"

No comments:

Post a Comment