12/14/10

Storytime on Pohnpei

WorldTeach Micronesia Pohnpei Field Director Amy Delyla Ulm shares with us some photos and the story behind the new project that she and some of her volunteers have started contributing to in partnership with Peace Corps volunteers on the island!

 "The WorldTeach Micronesia Pohnpei volunteers are extending beyond their usual roles as high school teachers and college instructors to enrich the lives of elementary students and get more involved in their communities.

This past summer, a Peace Corps volunteer began a project with the local library in Kolonia that includes a weekly Story Hour.  Each week, about 20-30 children gather in the library to sing songs, listen to readings and participate in an art project. While in the library with her students, I noticed signage promoting Story Hour.  I asked the Peace Corps volunteer heading the project if she could use any help – as luck would have it, she certainly did! 

I returned to the library that very afternoon to read my first story to the kids and check out the rest of the program.  I was so impressed by what I saw that I encouraged my volunteers to come help out, too. Now WorldTeach is working hand-in-hand with the Peace Corps to make story hour the best it can be.  Every week COM instructor leads Maureen Curtin leads the art project while I read a story.  Other WorldTeach volunteers fill in as needed.


A Peace Corps volunteer: storytime!

WorldTeach and Peace Corps are now working to formalize a partnership in regards to the Story Hour Program.   The ultimate goal is to teach local children that the library is a fun and safe place where learning is fun while strengthening ties between the two volunteer organizations that promote education on the island." 

   WorldTeach volunteer Maureen Curtin and Field Director Amy Delyla Ulm join in the fun!


1 comment:

  1. I like this program, I wish I could give some of my help.

    ReplyDelete