10/28/11

Kids Will Be Kids

No matter where in the world you may go, there are some aspects of childhood that are simply universal. Meghan and Jane, two WorldTeach Rwanda volunteers, share pictures and stories of familiar childhood customs around the world.






Walking around the classroom today while my students were taking a quiz, I noticed a few things that reminded me of when I was in middle school and made me realize that kids are just kids no matter where you are. So here are a few funny moments from the classroom:

When I was in elementary school and middle school, it was always hard to hold onto your writing utensils. They would get dropped on the floor, left on someone else's desk, lost in the depths of your desk. But, there was always one pencil that you tried to hold onto. The thing to do was see how small you could get it before you lost it. The ultimate goal was to get it all the way down to the nub so that it couldn't be sharpened anymore.

I never made it that far, but I remember admiring other people's pencils which were reduced to metal eraser holder and tip. It was never easy to write with pencils this short, but that wasn't the point (no pun intended).

In Rwanda, no one uses pencil. I have never once seen a teacher writing lesson plans in pencil and the bane of my teaching existence is grading homework and quizzes done in pen (some of the papers I get make me feel like I'm interpreting a Picasso painting not grading polynomial homework). However, I noticed two students writing their quiz with a pen nub. They had obviously been chewing on their pens and the plastic had cracked. So they were clutching an inch and a half of a pen tip with part of an ink tube sticking out of it. I further noticed that they both had whole pens sitting next to them on their desks. So apparently it's fun here too to write with a fraction of a writing utensil.


Interested in finding other similarities and differences for yourself? Become a WorldTeach volunteer! Click here for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment