2/3/12

A Summer Well Spent


While two months may not seem like enough time to get much accomplished, WorldTeach volunteers somehow manage not only to make a difference, but to have exciting new experiences in this seemingly short amount of time. Caroline, a WorldTeach Namibia summer volunteer, recounts what she did over her summer term.

As bewildered as my body is with the exiting-Africa process, my mind and emotions are even more so. It is so hard to process the whole experience, really appreciate what I’ve done, and come to terms with leaving. While I cannot wait for the familiarity of home, I am also leaving behind a home that I have established in Oshakati. No more, “Miss, miss, miss.” No more learners. No more green and white uniforms. No more roosters crowing. No more cooking for myself. No more letting the daylight control my life. No more walking to school. No more classes of 49. No more driving on the left side of the road. No more locking up the house everyday. No more African porridge. No more Namlish. No more riding in the back of backies.

I can’t believe my time here is over. Two months seemed like so long. Where did it go? What did I accomplish?

I taught. I danced. I sang. I invigilated exams. I traveled. I lived on my own. I made a home. I established a routine. I explored. I thought about new things. I befriended a blonde, animal-loving, cheerleading California girl. I laughed. I cried. I ate copious amounts of meat. I got comfortable. I baked. I drank tea. I missed my family. I loved my learners. I listened to Podcasts. I solved a 1000 piece puzzle. I pounded muhangu. I ate mupani worms. I made fat cakes.

What can you get done in a summer? Start with changing a child's life. Learn more about our summer teaching opportunities in Namibia here

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a wonderful, life changing experience, Caroline. Nicely written, informative article. Ellen Larson, Farragut, TN.

    ReplyDelete