5/10/12

If I Could Change The World...

Kids may say the darndest things, but sometimes they are simply spot on. Lauren Phillips, a WorldTeach Chile volunteer, asked her students to finish the sentence "If I could change the world..." and got some inspiring responses. Read on to see what her 6th-12th graders answered.

This is a list compiled from my 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th graders. I explained the prompt: “If I could change the world…” and here’s what they came up with:

- I would turn the sky orange and purple.
- everyone would have a home.
- no one would go to bed hungry.
- there would be more beautiful boys and less ugly ones.
- there would be more respect for women.
- everyone would have health care.
- there would be less drugs and more peace.
- I would have Miss Lauren stay in Chile forever.
- there would be less reggaeton and more heavy metal.
- there would be education for everyone.
- there would be less robbery and violence.
- there would be more respect for nature.

Here are a few from my 11th and 12 graders:

- there would be less violence and more communication.
- there would be less discrimination and more respect.
- there would be more wine for everyone!
- there would be more conscience in the people.
- 2Pac and Eazy-E would be reborn.

Their dreams and visions are humbling, reviving, and wise beyond their years. I also included a few that I thought were pretty creative and funny. I feel very blessed to spend each day with such beautiful young souls who give me hope for a more peaceful and just future.

“Be the change you wish to see in the world”- Gandhi.




Are you interested in helping at least one of Lauren's students change the world by providing education for everyone? Join WorldTeach's new Chile Semester program. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until May 15- click here for more information and to apply!

No comments:

Post a Comment