8/24/12

Adventures in Ecuador

What is a volunteer teacher supposed to do in their downtime abroad? Explore of course! Or, if you're Megan Lucas, maybe give bungee jumping (puenting) a try! Check out this great blog post from Megan about her time off from teaching in Ecuador. Thanks for sharing, Megan!  

Hola!!!


I cannot believe I've been living in Ecuador for over four months now!  I've been so incredibly busy with school and doing things like this:

                                            




                                               Puenting in Banos.  I was super nervous.


I'm in the middle of my second cycle of teaching, so things have slowed down lately.  At my school, I teach an 8 week cycle, and then have a break for about 2 weeks.  When I come back and start a new cycle I have a new teaching schedule, new students, and possibly a new level to teach. I got lucky and am teaching the same level this cycle so I already have most of my lessons planned.  My students have always been amazing and sometimes I get sad knowing I only have 8 weeks with each of them.  I teach anywhere from high school kids to adults, but they are all so eager to learn that it really makes teaching them fun.  

As sad as I get only teaching my students for 8 weeks at a time, having 2 weeks of vacation every 8 weeks is pretty sweet.  On our last vacation, my friends and I traveled around the southern Ecuadorian coast.  I don't have a whole lot of pictures of this because I really suck at remembering to take pictures, but I did have a really good time.  Our first stop was Manta, which is about a 9 hour bus ride from Quito.  Manta is a large city in Ecuador, but the beach is really nice.  They had a really cool fish market that was pretty active in the mornings.  We went one morning early because we were told there was going to be a shark.  We missed the shark.  But we did get to see some cool things.


Like these guys hacking up huge fish

Canoa was our next stop.  It's a few hours north of Manta and one of the coolest beaches I've ever been to.
Canoa

It's a small beach town where everyone will offer to teach you how to surf.  I didn't take anyone up on their offer, but I did go on a sea kayaking cave tour that turned out to be a lot more intense than I imagined it would be.  I had never been sea kayaking before and I am very thankful that I had a guide in the kayak with me.  He was probably not so thankful to be in the kayak with me because he ended up doing most of the work.  We kayaked a long way out to the tip of those big rock formations next to the beach.  After catching our breath and drinking a beer, we started to climb over a bunch of rocks to get to the caves.  The rocks ended up being very slippery and I fell quite a few times.  I also may have broken a toe in the process.  But it was a ton of fun.  We ended up not getting to see any caves because the tide was too dangerous and would not be calm again for another five days.  But it was a cool experience that I'm really glad I did.  The rest of my time in Canoa I spent sleeping on the beach and enjoying the great views

Canoa at sunset
The last stop on our trip was Montanita.  I have absolutely no pictures from Montanita, which I am very sad about because it is a pretty beach.  Monanita was a small beach town that is known for being a big party beach.  During the day it's very calm and relaxing, but at night tons of people come to drink and dance on the beach.  

As much as I love my students right now, I'm really looking forward to the end of this cycle and my next vacation.  My mom and dad are coming to visit me and I cannot wait to see them and show them around Ecuador.  I know that they'll love it just as much as I do.  
I'll try to add another update again really soon.

I'm hoping that I can get a lot better at updating everyone on life here in Ecuador.  


Besos!

If you're interested in applying to one of our programs in Ecuador, visit our website at www.worldteach.org. If you have additional questions, feel free to email us at info@worldteach.org or give us a call at 857.259.6646.

No comments:

Post a Comment