12/6/13

Guess who I met on the plane?

Danica Shaw, Georgetown/WorldTeach Namibia Volunteer '94 and WorldTeach Namibia Field Director '96-'98, also recounts meeting Nelson Mandela on her way to Namibia to begin volunteer service. 

I was sitting alone on the plane, having just met all the other volunteers at JFK. After they cleared dinner, I looked up and a man walked into the main section of the plane. I thought to myself, “Wow – he looks like Mandela.” A split-second later I realized it was him. At that moment I knew that I had made the absolute right choice in coming to work in Namibia, to contribute to this very young nation overcoming apartheid in any small way that I could. I went to high school with Amy Biehl, so her death just months before hit me and my family with force. I put on a much braver face than I felt, but seeing Mandela erased all my fears.

The patience he took in speaking to everyone on the flight, genuinely interested in them as people was humbling. When my turn came I was nervous, but feeling so fortunate. He took my hand and looked directly at me, holding my hand for some time. He asked if I was one of the volunteer teachers and I said yes that I was going to Namibia to teach science. He thanked me for my contribution and said how important education was for Southern Africa. I stammered that I was so honored to meet him and thanked him for all he has done for the world. I would have been quite happy with that. 

Mandela on the other hand said, “It’s okay for you to take a picture and ask for my autograph.” That thought hadn’t crossed my mind, although cameras were flashing the entire time. We both laughed and I rushed to find my camera and a piece of paper. A fellow volunteer ripped a page out of the back of her book for him to autograph. I still have it, safe and sound in my journal from that life-changing year

I managed to touch greatness that day, as did all of us on that flight. There is not another politician, celebrity, personality or hero that I would have liked to meet more.

When we arrived in Johannesburg I phoned my family. I said to my mom, “Guess who I met on the plane?” She thought it was a family friend or an old friend of mine. When I told her, “Nelson Mandela,” I could hear astonishment and excitement, but also relief – she also realized that I had done the right thing.
- Danica Shaw, Georgetown/WorldTeach Namibia 1994


If you are interested in learning more about WorldTeach, check out our website at www.worldteach.org. If you have any additional questions, feel free to email us at info@worldteach.org or give us a call at 857.259.6646! 


No comments:

Post a Comment