8/19/14

Meet the Students! WorldTeach Volunteer introduces some of her students.

WorldTeach Volunteer Elizabeth Skurdahl introduces us to a few of her students with her Learner Profiles. Read more to meet some of the students from WorldTeach Namibia...

Double the pleasure, double the fun! That’s right, you lucky devils, today I bring you not one but TWO learner profiles in one, epic DOUBLE LEARNER PROFILE POST!! (Please, please! Hold your applause. Seriously, guys – stop, I’m blushing!)
Today I would like to introduce you to Brucely and Mbaunguraiye (pronounced Bow-n-gur-ay-ye), two cool kids direct from my grade 6 English class.

Brucely

DSCN0197Brucely is a total jokester. He has a wide, charming smile that will disarm even the sternest of foes, and the antics and hijinks he gets up to constantly make me laugh (even when I should be keeping discipline in the classroom instead of listening to a 12 year-old’s jokes).
Back in the beginning of the school year (around February), I taught the kids about April Fools Day. They don’t celebrate that here and the kids had never heard about it before, but there was a reading in their textbook about it so we discussed it and talked about the way people trick each on April 1st.
Two months later, I am in the library with grade 6 when Brucely tells me to look out the window. “It’s your friend, Miss!” he says. “She is there by the tree!” (A Peace Corps volunteer I am friends with lived in a village about an hour away and would often hike through Omatjete. The hike point back to her village is a tree you can see from the library window.)
“Where?” I said, “I don’t see her.” “Oh no, Miss,” he said “she just walked away. She looked like she was walking here – you should go greet her!” So I went to the school gates, assuming she’d be there, but no such luck. “Brucely, she isn’t there!” I said when I returned to the library. I was getting a bit frustrated. “Are you lying to me? It isn’t nice to lie to people.”
“Miss, APRIL FOOLS!”
I looked at him in surprise. Lo and behold, it was April 1st. He and I shared a good laugh at his joke. I had forgotten all about April Fools, and so had the other learners – but not Brucely.

Mbaunguraiye

Mbaunguraiye is a mischief-maker, in every sense of the word. He never does anything so terrible as to get him into any serious trouble, but he is usually always up to something. My lessons with grade are usually peppered withDSCN0193DSCN0193DSCN0193“Mbaunguraiye, what are you doing? Sit down!” as he has a habit of getting up and wandering around the classroom whenever the fancy strikes him.
Despite his mischief, Mbaunguraiye loves to participate in class. His hand is always raised to respond to a question (even if he doesn’t know what the answer is), he always wants to be the first person to read aloud, and he is constantly jumping out of his seat to help me pass out papers – even when I haven’t asked him to help.
Whenever I catch him in the act of doing something he shouldn’t be doing – stealing another learner’s pencil, reading a magazine instead of a textbook, wandering over to chat with the girls in the back corner (he is definitely a ladies’ man) – his mouth always drops open in a huge “O” and he looks at me with such shock, like he never could have imagined that he would have ever been caught.
“Mbaunguraiye, you do realize you aren’t invisible, don’t you?” He laughed his head off at that.



**Sidenote: these pictures were taken during the first week of school and are terrible quality. They don’t really portray either of these boys’ true characters, but they were the only ones I had of just them.

- Elizabeth Skurdahl, WorldTeach Namibia 2014

If you are interested in learning more about WorldTeach, check out our website at www.worldteach.org. If you have any additional questions, feel free to email us at info@worldteach.org or give us a call at 857.259.6646! 

No comments:

Post a Comment